If you happen by Saskatoon City Hall from now until Christmas you’ll notice the lit tree and Santa’s sleigh in the foyer. On Tuesday, Mayor Clark joined with the Directors of the Secret Santa Foundation, our Title Sponsor Saskatoon Coop, Country 600 CJWW radio, our other valuable sponsors, and the carolling firefighters to officially begin the annual Secret Santa campaign.
Down south in the home of the brave and land of the free there are at least 10,000 licenced radio stations compared to just over 700 in Canada. Our broadcast regulator, the CRTC expects us to operate within common sense boundaries of good taste and we have a watchdog, the Canadian Broadcast Standards Council, to keep an ear and eye on our radio and tv stations in case we cross the line.
It’s the middle of November and we’re inching closer to hearing Christmas holiday music on the radio. Every year starting on December 1st, most radio stations begin slipping in seasonal tunes throughout the day. Ours start with about one song per hour and gradually increase the frequency until we are at 100% on December 24th. I know there are some folks who would like to hear more Christmas songs earlier and some who want less but we do our best to please as many listeners as we can. I saw the result of a survey about the popularity of Christmas music last week.
Last week a Sasknow.ca News Poll question asked if we thought the provincial government should change the rules so that foreign business development anywhere in the province has a minimum Canadian hiring quota. As of this writing, 12% of respondents had voted no with the remaining 88% voting yes.
Tomorrow is Remembrance Day. It was at 11am on the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 that the guns fell silent and World War I ended. I’m sure something extra special will be planned on the 100th anniversary next year but tomorrow we will be at SaskTel Centre that will have its usual crowd gathered to respect the memory of those who served and fell in the Great War as well as WW II, the Korean War and the more modern conflicts involving Canadian armed forces.