A Sasknow.ca News Poll question last Friday asked if we thought winter tires should be mandatory. As of this writing, 29% of respondents had voted yes and the remaining 71%, no. I went with the No side on this one.
What’s your name? It may be a hint as to your age or at least your era. I was looking at a list of names parents rarely give their newborns nowadays. Back in the day baby boomer girls were likely to have names like Cathy, Jackie, Kay, Deborah, Maureen, Linda, Leslie, Diane, Jeanne, Janis, Sue, Rhonda, Gail, or Vickie. Boys were given names like Bill, Don, Jack, Frank, Ed, Ron, Paul, and yes, Vic. And we mustn’t forget good old Bob, which spelled backward is still Bob.
It’s November 25th, 30 days till Christmas Day. You know Christmas isn’t far away when you turn on your tv and every channel that shows movies is showing mostly you-know-what kind of movies. Looking on the bright side, at least it’s a month and a half break from zombies, vampires and spectacular explosions. I’ve never been part of any survey that asks whether I want to be fed an endless diet of holiday season movies throughout November and December.
An acquaintance of mine who owns a business was telling me how he is visited by so many media representatives extolling the virtues of their medium and why he should spend his advertising dollars with them. He said, “Convince me that local radio is a good investment”. I said, “OK, you asked me”. Radio advertising, when used properly, gets results, plain and simple. Radio is wherever people…consumers…are. It is still a person’s number one media companion with on-air personalities that live here. It’s in bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, family rooms, on decks, at the cottage, in the office, local stations are streamed online, and of course radio is in your vehicle wherever you go.
With Christmas looming just a month away I’m reminded it’s the time of year when we should give thought to those who are less fortunate. The economy isn’t as robust as it once was and as we wait for a rebound it’s more important than usual to help organizations such as the Saskatoon Food Bank which has seen a 14% increase in usage over the past year. The Salvation Army’s annual Kettle Campaign is underway visible in the usual locations, and the CJWW Denny Carr Secret Santa Foundation campaign to fill Christmas food and toy hampers on behalf of 800 needy Saskatoon families with children under 14 is in full swing.