Last Friday’s Sasknow.ca News Poll question asked if we watch some sports in the Olympics that we would never watch at any other time even if it was available. As of this writing, 41% of respondents had said yes with the remaining 59% saying no. I voted yes with the 41%. There are some sports at the Olympic Games that I never even think about outside of the Games such as bobsleigh, skeleton, luge, cross-country skiing, biathlon and Nordic combined.
With my busy life as well as all the other options vying for my viewing time, I doubt whether I would have time to watch any of these sporting events if they were on outside of the Olympics. The same might go for snowboarding and speed skating. I will watch hockey and curling any time I can and may even have a peek at Skiing and ski jumping if they’re ever on tv. However, during the Olympics is the only time I sit down and watch the first sports I mentioned, bobsleigh, luge, etc., especially if I know Canada is competing. And you know what? I enjoy watching them. I guess it’s the aura of the Olympics. In spite of corruption and doping scandals along with massive time differences such as this year, there’s just something extra-special about the Olympic Games.