February marks home electrical fire safety month and the Saskatoon Fire Department is making sure people are safe when it comes to cords in the home.
Assistant Chief of Communications, Wayne Rodger says electrical fires are the second most leading cause of fires in the city, a lot of that has to do with cords that are frayed or have nicks. Other fire hazards associated with electrical fires are extension cords that are being used for long term uses rather than short temporary usage. Cords that are pinched behind furniture or running under rugs can also cause a fire. Rodger adds overloading "octopus outlets" and power bars are both other sources that can cause a fire. Homeowners are advised to contact a licenced electrician if more outlets are required in a room.