The Saskatoon Fire Department says a smoldering cigarette that was left on the ground led to a fire that caused an estimated $200,000 in damage to a downtown business Thursday morning.
Deb Davies with the Saskatoon Fire Department says two people reported the fire at the corner of Spadina Crescent East and 20th Street East around 6:35 a.m. Five fire crews responded to the blaze, which had spread from the exterior of the building to the interior.
Davies says office contents were being covered to try and safeguard them from water, fire and smoke damage. However, she says the damage inside was fairly extensive, and it's not clear exactly how much was lost inside.
Davies says the fire is a reminder for people to be cautious when extinguishing smoking materials, because they can smolder for a long time.
The building is now being cleared of smoke and tested for carbon monoxide.
The Court of Queen's Bench, which is next door to the building, was not affected.